Steam is useful when used to kill bugs during their development stages.
The use of a steamer to kill bedbugs in your home is both environmentally safe and efficient.
Bed bugs are unable to withstand temperatures above 120 degrees.
Thus, it will kill all bugs on contact.
The best part is that steam can penetrate through hard surfaces such as cloth wrappers of mattresses and carpets; killing all bugs that are hiding inside.
Even though steamers are quite costly to purchase, their cost cannot be compared to that of hiring a professional bedbug terminator.
Advantages of using bed bug steamer
- It is an environmentally safe method for killing bed bugs
- Steam penetrates and kills bed bug that one may not see. This includes those who hide inside the mattresses, under carpets, box springs, and parts of your furniture that cannot be accessed easily.
- Steam enables you to treat your curtains, bed, carpets and other items that can be destroyed by chemicals without having to use chemicals.
- The bed bug steamer will kill not only the bugs but also their eggs.
- Not all devices are effective; thus you should be very careful when selecting a steamer for bed bugs.
- When not handled appropriately, steam can cause burns considering that it is scalding.
- Care should be taken when using steamers since the steam can remove varnish from furniture and can damage electrical items.
Purchasing a bed bug steamer: what to consider
Most of the steamers will take seconds to heat up, but some may take longer.
If you wish for a quick treatment option or you want to apply steam a wide area, this is a factor you should consider.
The size of the tank determines how long you can steam before having to refill and wait for the water to get hot.
Again, if you want to steam a large area, you ought to consider the size of the water tank.
Considering that the buyer may need to carry the steamer while at the task, the weight could be a vital consideration.
It is advisable to get something that can be carried easily.
Top two steamers
This is a great steamer for bed bugs.
It is large enough, enabling you to do several runs before refilling it.
Vapamore MR-100 expels highly pressurized steam that kills bed bugs instantly and can capture the eggs as well.
Another of its added advantages is that it is designed to work perfectly on floors and upholstery.
Thus, it is perfect for general applications.
McCulloch MC1275 heavy duty works just like its name suggests.
When you use it, there is a noticeable difference in the item you steam using this device.
The tank is also large enough, such that you can steam for two hours continuously.
This means you can take care of three mattresses without having to refill.